Monday, January 25, 2010

Anyone can find love...with a good credit rating...


What d' you know ladies and gentlemen?

So for this review of a social media application I chose match.com; an online dating website to help people find true love. Founded in 1993 by Gary Kremen, match.com currently holds its headquarters in Dallas, Texas. With over 20 million users and offices in cities such as Madrid, Tokyo, Paris, London, Stockholm and Munich. In 2004, it set the Guinness World Record for largest online dating website.





How it works

Match.com, like any online dating site, asks visitors to create an account before entering. You are a "______" seeking a "______" aged "___" to "___"...and here is my postal code. From there new members are asked to fill out more questions about themselves.

The site's demographics range from anyone who has had trouble finding someone compatible or for people who may have lifestyles that do not accommodate going out and meeting people.
Once your profile is completed, you are then provided options on how you want to pay for your membership, so that you can "instantly connect" and meet new people.

I had to create my own profile in order to see how involved the process actually is in order to join this social network and in my opinion, I do not see myself paying to meet people anytime soon.

Usability and Utility

This site is pretty straight forward in the sense that it is very easy to access your inbox with emails, view your daily matches and see people who have winked at you. Unfortunately, if you do not pay for this site and just want to meet people, your options are limited. I do not pay for this membership, so although I can view my new matches and navigate around other services with links at the bottom of their website, the main purpose is nullified if you are not willing to pay. Users will have no difficulties navigating around the site to find out about the company, legal policies, as well as information on how to contact staff with questions or concerns.


The misconceived "art" of successful online dating

Don't care what I think? That's okay...you've read this far anyways...

I will be the first to admit I have zero game. This so called "macking" that guys apparently "lay down" on women boggles my mind (Keys to the VIP). However, for those who are not always the most comfortable in crowded clubs, surrounded by beligerent people and having to scream conversations, this site is ideal.

Many people who shun online dating because of a lack of success may have to do with their approach. Although I have never attempted online dating, I have definitely attempted flirting. Some would label me as a flirt...that's fine. Here are some tips that I feel people can use in order to effectively meet new people online.

1. When sending emails, STAND OUT and BE CREATIVE!

  • Simply sending an email saying "I think you're cute" or "Your profile caught my eye" is just asking to be sent to the trash can. Stand out and use your intellectual skills to catch your match's attention! They will be willing to read if they see the time and effort put into a message.

2. Not every match has to be your wife/husband.
  • When trying this out for the first time, HAVE. SOME. FUN. Whatever happened to just going on casual dates and taking it slow?
  • Be patient with the people you end up meeting or matching up with. Not every person is going to be an exact match with you, so do not get discouraged. The more open minded you are, the more doors will open.

3. Perhaps the most important...Do NOT get hung up on email!

The WHOLE purpose of online dating is to get a BRIEF idea of who a person is. Once that is done, GET OFF THE COMPUTER and meet face to face asap. As much as people may click online, there is nothing that compares to a face to face interaction. An obvious statement perhaps, yet I bet there are many missed connections online simply because the initiative was not taken to meet in person. Search. Flirt. Meet.

These are obviously just my opinions on this website. I have no doubt that match.com and other online dating services work for people. I have never paid for an online dating site but am open to it in the future when I am more settled and in the right place to do so.
Is match.com the easiest site to navigate around? No, but it is far from the most complicated.

You can also check out Zack Sandor-Kerr's blog to read his stance on match.com.

The bottom line is that anyone can be successful using this website; it just takes the right amount of time and patience...and a credit card.

Live.It.Up.

1 comment:

  1. This was a really well thought out and well written review neil!! I like how you considered including tips for online dating, because I have reviewed tips before and they NEVER have included the ones you thought of! They are original and SO TRUE even if it's not about online dating but even just flirting with people via social media! hahaha

    ReplyDelete